Driving Instructor Course in ACT
Welcome to the Driving Instructor Course in ACT (Canberra) -> TLI41222 – Certificate IV in Motor Vehicle Driver Training (Specialisation Group A – Car). This certificate is a nationally recognised qualification under the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF).
This qualification defines the skills and knowledge required for road transport trainers who will be training individuals or groups in cars, heavy vehicles or motorcycles. This qualification is not for the public to gain a driver’s licence.
Job roles and titles vary across different sectors. Possible job roles relevant to this qualification include:
- car driving trainer
This qualification meets part of the Australian Capital Territory’s licensing and regulatory requirements for certification as a Motor Vehicle Driver Trainer. Please refer to the “How to Apply” section for further information regarding other requirements.
The following information pertains to ACT only. If you are looking for something other than the Driving Instructor Course in ACT, please click here and select your state or territory.
An initial deposit of $1500 is required for this course. The remaining balance must be paid just before the commencement of practical training.
How to Apply
Step 1: Meet the following requirements
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Hold a current full Australian car licence or full Australian licence of a higher class
- Hold a current working with vulnerable people registration
- Be medically fit
- Have no prior convictions for a disqualifying offence within the last five years
- Have a public liability insurance policy for at least $5,000,00 that insures the instructor against liability in relation to the death of, or bodily injury to a person caused by or arising out of the use of a motor vehicle for providing driver instruction and assessment
- If the instructor provides their own vehicle, it must be fitted with dual controls that have been inspected and approved by the Road Transport Authority (an engineer’s certificate will be required upon inspection)
Step 2: Complete the Application to become an Accredited Driving Instructor
Step 3: Complete the Commercial driver’s health assessment (must not be more than six months old from the date of sign off from your general practitioner)
Step 4: Complete the TLI41222 – Certificate IV in Motor Vehicle Driver Training
Step 5: Submit the completed application form along with
- A current working with vulnerable people registration
- Passport sized photograph
- A copy of your public liability insurance policy insured to at least $5,000,000
Step 6: Make the payment
NOTE: Your application is unlikely to be accepted if you have:
- been convicted of any sexual, fraud, financial, violent, drug-related or theft offences
- a history of driving offences, licence disqualifications or suspensions.
This information is accurate at the time of publication and can change at any time without notice by the regulator. We strongly encourage you to check the regulator’s website for the most up-to-date information by clicking on the More Details button.